THE BASIC PREP
These tips below will ensure your window replacement goes smoothly and will save time for your installers:
- On installation day, move furniture and knick-knacks away from the windows so the installers can have easy access to the areas they’ll be working in. Leave at least 5-8 feet of working space if you can.
- Remove all blinds and window coverings.
- Provide the installation crew with a clear path to the windows being replaced.
- Remove any artwork or photographs from walls close to the windows.
- Move any breakable items to another room and cover valuable pieces with blankets or plastic sheeting to prevent damage.
- Protect hardwood floors and carpet in the immediate area with plastic sheeting.
- If you have a security system, sensors should be removed from any windows or doors being replaced and the system should be turned off.
- If your renovation will take more than a few days, plan breaks from the construction, perhaps with a dinner out, for your family.
- If your window replacement is part of a larger renovation, you should take additional steps to protect your home and furniture against fine plaster dust and construction dirt.